Trainee Forensic Psychologist
Salary: £23,000 pro rata (based on a 40 hour working week)
Employer: Forensic Psychology Consultancy UK Ltd
Current Vacancy: 32 hours per week worked across 4 days
Duration: 12 month fixed contract with the possibility of extension
Location: HMP & YOI Parc, Bridgend, with a requirement to travel to other locations depending on needs of business.
Forensic Psychology Consultancy (FP Consultancy) is an independent practice of Psychologists with expertise in working with perpetrators of crime, victims and those at risk. FP Consultancy provides services to legal representatives, criminal justice, social and health agencies. We help to understand criminal behaviour by applying the most up-to-date and evidence-based psychological theory and assessments. Our aim is to deliver this in a professional, competitive and accessible manner.
The practice comprises of Forensic and Clinical Psychologists who are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council and the British Psychological Society.
Operating across South Wales and the West, one of FP Consultancy’s contracts is to provide psychological services at HMP & YOI Parc, Bridgend. We are seeking to appoint a Trainee Psychologist on a 12-month contract to assist in the delivery of this service.
FP Consultancy has extensive experience of supporting trainee psychologists working towards Registration with the Health and Care Professions Council, and Chartership with the British Psychological Society.
About the role:
The role will involve a variety of tasks aimed to support the prison in its goal to provide a safe rehabilitative environment and reduce the risk of re-offending. This will involve working directly with men residing at the prison and also with prison staff.
The role will offer broad experience that contributes directly towards requirements of training towards Registration as a Forensic Psychologist. This includes conducting assessments with men who have committed offences, delivering interventions, providing consultancy to prison staff, and delivering training.
The post is based on a four-day working week, allowing one day for study leave to work on the requirements of training towards Registration.
All the work completed by the Trainee Psychologist will be supervised by the company Director Matthew Gobbett (Registered and Chartered Forensic Psychologist.)
Specifics of the role:
- Assessments of men serving Licence Recall and Indeterminate / Life sentences who are preparing for Parole Board reviews
- Assessments of men serving determinate sentences to assist with risk-management in the prison and community
- Attending Parole Board oral hearings to provide professional evidence
- Providing consultancy to assist staff working in high-risk areas of the prison and with men with complex needs
- Delivering brief interventions as required
- Delivering staff training
- Maintaining psychology records
- Undergraduate Psychology degree (BSc) and a Postgraduate qualification in Forensic Psychology (MSc)
- A minimum of 12 months experience working with vulnerable and/or forensic service users
- An understanding of up-to-date psychological risk assessment tools
- An understanding of up-to-date psychometric assessments
- Excellent report writing skills
- A desire to work towards Registration as a Forensic Psychologist. Demonstrated by being registered on a recognised training route, or being willing to register upon appointment
- A full valid driving licence and use of car that will permit the candidate to meet the travel requirements of the post
- Pass required security and identity checks prior to taking up post
- Experience of working in a prison or secure setting
- Experience of writing formal reports
- Experience working within a Psychology team
- Experience of providing consultancy to staff and training to staff groups
- Trained or experienced in psychological risk assessment tools, for example the HCR-20 and RSVP
- Trained or experienced to administer psychometric assessment such as the WAIS and MCMI
- Trained or experienced in delivering therapeutic interventions
- Already registered on a recognised training programme and working towards registration as a Forensic Psychologist
In order to apply for this position please provide a CV and a cover letter not exceeding 500 words detailing why you would like the position and how you are suited to the role. Applications must be e-mailed to: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 9th March 2018
Expected date of interviews: 21st March 2018
Further information about the company: www.forensicpsychologyuk.com
Enquiries can be made to the e-mail address above and there is opportunity for informal discussion prior to the closing date if required.